TLDR: If adult-use passes in Ohio current medical licenses holders will be granted additional licenses to allow for more stores and cannabis access.
In 2021, CannDev played a part in winning 10 retail licenses in OH and currently owns 6 properties leased by licensed medical cannabis dispensaries. These are located in Cincinnati, Columbus, Dayton, Elyria, Euclid and Ravenna. We know Ohio well and are excited about the potential expansion in this market.
With new licenses for dispensaries soon to be available CannDev is evaluating various markets to discover the best opportunities where high revenues will be possible. Which includes underserved and border areas that populations in nearby states can visit. If you’re interested in gaining access to our OH retail locations click here.
Below is a recap of the potential Ohio adult-use program if the voters pass the initiative in November.
- Medical to adult-use licenses:
- Existing medical dispensaries shall be issued an adult-use license for their existing location
- Medical dispensary could be issued 1 additional license at another location
- Level 1 cultivator could be issued 3 adult-use dispensary licenses
- Level 2 cultivator could be issued 1 adult-use dispensary license
- One individual may be issued no more than 8 adult-use dispensary licenses
- The state would issue 50 additional adult-use licenses with preference to social equity applicants
- State may issue additional cannabis licenses 2 years after first adult-use license issued
- Adult-use applications would be available within 6 months of passage of the Act (possibly June 2024)
- 500 foot buffer from prohibited facilities does not apply to existing medical license holder (i.e. a location that was awarded a medical license but had a school open before the adult-use license was issued would still be allowed)
This all looks very promising if the voters approve the measure!
If you’re interested in dividing deeper check out this map of existing medical dispensary locations.
If you’re an existing Ohio medical license holder (even cultivation) and would like to consider the compliant retail options CannDev will have available please sign up here: